Edit and Continue doesn't work with NTrace

Jun 1, 2011 at 8:40 AM

Hi,

When modifying code during debug time and trying to continue debugging, I get the following error message: "Edits were made which cannot be compiled. Execution cannot continue until compile errors are fixed".

I know that NTrace preprocesses the code so when I change the code during debugging I actually don't change the code that was actually compiled (i.e. the preprocessed code), and I wonder whether this is a 'by-design' issue, or maybe a bug or a even new feature for NTrace:)?

Thanks,

--Eran

Coordinator
Jun 1, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Correct; since it uses a preprocessor, NTrace currently doesn’t support the Edit and Continue feature. I haven’t given up hope that there’s a way, but I haven’t discovered it yet. I’ll see if I can have our Project SubType disable the feature to minimize confusion.

-Andy

Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2011 4:40 AM
To: andy@hoppersoft.com
Subject: Edit and Continue doesn't work with NTrace [NTrace:259742]

Hi,

When modifying code during debug time and trying to continue debugging, I get the following error message: "Edits were made which cannot be compiled. Execution cannot continue until compile errors are fixed".

I know that NTrace preprocesses the code so when I change the code during debugging I actually don't change the code that was actually compiled (i.e. the preprocessed code), and I wonder whether this is a 'by-design' issue, or maybe a bug or a even new feature for NTrace:)?

Thanks,

--Eran

Jun 1, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Thanks. Just out of curiosity, I wonder how this is implemented for 'natively preprocessed' languages (such as C++) - maybe the same technique could be applied here.