NTrace project type not installed for VS2010?

Jul 3, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Hi,

I've looked at the registry and saw that NTrace project type GUID (05D5C7B2-D255-4162-AE48-596FE4FBCCB9) does appear under VS 2008 (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0\Projects) but not under VS 2010. As a result another VS plugin we're working with gets broken on VS2010.

Is this the expected behavior or a bug in NTrace installer? Is there a temporary workaround for resolving this?

Thanks,

--Eran

Coordinator
Jul 3, 2011 at 4:34 PM

It’s possible the project template registration failed. Verify that you see the instrumented project templates under the %ProgramFiles%\Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\ ProjectTemplates\CSharp\Windows folder; there should be a few .zip files with names like “Instrumented Console Project.zip”

If you see the project templates in the folder, then you may be able to repair the registration by running:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe" /installvstemplates

(omit the ‘ (x86)’ on a 32-bit system)

-Andy

Sent: Sunday, July 03, 2011 8:48 AM
To: andy@hoppersoft.com
Subject: NTrace project type not installed for VS2010? [NTrace:263724]

Hi,

I've looked at the registry and saw that NTrace project type GUID (05D5C7B2-D255-4162-AE48-596FE4FBCCB9) does appear under VS 2008 (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0\Projects) but not under VS 2010. As a result another VS plugin we're working with gets broken on VS2010.

Is this the expected behavior or a bug in NTrace installer? Is there a temporary workaround for resolving this?

Thanks,

--Eran

Jul 4, 2011 at 12:14 PM

I checked and found the instrumented project templates, however when running devenv.exe  /installvstemplates nothing happens - no error (or success) message, and NTrace project's GUID is still not in the registry for vs2010.

Is there a place I can look for any log/error message re/ the execution of /installvstemplates? Any other idea?

--Eran

Coordinator
Jul 5, 2011 at 1:24 AM

Sorry, I’m afraid I wasn’t clear; this isn’t to add anything to the registry – instead, it’s to get the project types to appear in the “New Project” dialog. After you performed this step, do the “Instrumented” project types appear?

Sent: Monday, July 04, 2011 8:15 AM
Subject: Re: NTrace project type not installed for VS2010? [NTrace:263724]

I checked and found the instrumented project templates, however when running devenv.exe /installvstemplates nothing happens - no error (or success) message, and NTrace project's GUID is still not in the registry for vs2010.

Is there a place I can look for any log/error message re/ the execution of /installvstemplates? Any other idea?

--Eran

Jul 5, 2011 at 5:35 AM

They appear in the "New Project" dialog, but they already appeared before performing this step.

As I see it, our problem is with the registry - is there a way to manually add them or get a new NTrace installer version which fixes that issue?

Thanks,

--Eran

Coordinator
Jul 5, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Ah, sorry; I thought you meant you weren’t able to create new projects. Since the VS2010 VSPackage model is slightly different from VS2008, we don’t add those registry keys; instead, we deliver a .pkgdef file and Visual Studio uses that to get the list of project types that the package delivers. I suppose you could add those keys manually if you needed them; it’ll be the same set of entries as Visual Studio 2008. As an alternate, there may be a way to query Visual Studio for a list of registered project factories.

Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2011 1:35 AM
Subject: Re: NTrace project type not installed for VS2010? [NTrace:263724]

They appear in the "New Project" dialog, but they already appeared before performing this step.

As I see it, our problem is with the registry - is there a way to manually add them or get a new NTrace installer version which fixes that issue?

Thanks,

--Eran