NTrace is broken on XP

Sep 4, 2011 at 7:51 AM

Hi,

I've just tested latest NTrace version (.net 2.0 version) on XP SP3 and it looks like it's broken - it produces a trace file of 262,144Kb that contains just the header file (at least this is what TraceView shows) and shows events count as 1.

It looks like a regression as I remember testing previous versions of NTrace running perfectly well on XP.

Please assist as this is a major blocker for us.

Thanks,

--Eran

Coordinator
Sep 6, 2011 at 3:35 PM
Hi, Eran-

Sorry, it was a holiday weekend here. I'm taking a look at this right now.

-Andy

On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 2:51 AM, eranhare <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hi,

I've just tested latest NTrace version (.net 2.0 version) on XP SP3 and it looks like it's broken - it produces a trace file of 262,144Kb that contains just the header file (at least this is what TraceView shows) and shows events count as 1.

It looks like a regression as I remember testing previous versions of NTrace running perfectly well on XP.

Thanks,

--Eran

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (NTrace@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email NTrace@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Coordinator
Sep 6, 2011 at 3:45 PM
OK, I just ran a test against an XPSP3 machine and I'm seeing the expected trace output.

Are you sure you're setting the level and flags correctly under TraceView? If you aren't listening at a high enough level or the flags bitmask don't match the events being logged, you won't see any information.

-Andy

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 10:35 AM, Andy Hopper <andy@hoppersoft.com> wrote:
Hi, Eran-

Sorry, it was a holiday weekend here. I'm taking a look at this right now.

-Andy

On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 2:51 AM, eranhare <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hi,

I've just tested latest NTrace version (.net 2.0 version) on XP SP3 and it looks like it's broken - it produces a trace file of 262,144Kb that contains just the header file (at least this is what TraceView shows) and shows events count as 1.

Thanks,

--Eran

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (NTrace@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email NTrace@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Sep 7, 2011 at 7:51 AM

OK, I've continued my investigation and found the following (all on XP):

When running traceview and capturing live tracing I can see the traces fine. I also set traceview to create a log file during live capturing, and that file is fine as well.

However, when started tracing from command line as following:

logman create trace "NTraceTest" -p {4a1caa48-b97d-4e90-b51b-ad0fe5b45ac0} 511 7 -o \Temp\trace.etl

logman start "NTraceTest"

Then running the application to write some trace lines, and then stopping the trace:

logman stop "NTraceTest"

logman delete "NTraceTest"

The file I get seems to contain no traces.

Running the same set of commands on Win7 produces a good trace file.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks,

--Eran

Coordinator
Sep 7, 2011 at 2:26 PM
Ah, thanks for the example; I was able to repro your issue when using logman. It appears that there are some differences using logman on XP versus on Windows 7. While Windows 7 (and likely Vista) will capture traces using the create/start/stop/delete pattern, XP stubbornly refuses. I had to change the lines to the following (note the additional -ets switch):
logman start trace NTraceTest -p "{provider id}" 255 10 -o trace.etl -ets
<run app>
logman stop NTraceTest -ets

I've tested this on Windows 7 as well, so I would recommend using this approach for all client environments in order to ensure it works regardless of their OS version.

Thanks for catching the docs bug; I'll update the Wiki to reflect what we've discovered.

-Andy

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 2:51 AM, eranhare <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

OK, I've continued my investigation and found the following (all on XP):

When running traceview and capturing live tracing I can see the traces fine. I also set traceview to create a log file during live capturing, and that file is fine as well.

However, when started tracing from command line as following:

logman create trace "NTraceTest" -p {4a1caa48-b97d-4e90-b51b-ad0fe5b45ac0} 511 7 -o \Temp\trace.etl

logman start "NTraceTest"

Then running the application to write some trace lines, and then stopping the trace:

logman stop "NTraceTest"

logman delete "NTraceTest"

The file I get seems to contain no traces.

Running the same set of commands on Win7 produces a good trace file.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks,

--Eran

Sep 7, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Works! Thanks!