Recommendation for multi-project setup?

Jan 11, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Andy, I just started looking at NTrace to see if it'll work for one of our larger applications. Right now we have a single web application that's made up of somewhere around 20 DLLs. What's the recommended way to include NTrace in a project like that? One NTrace.ClassicProvider per DLL? Can we share the ETW provider ID across all the projects and have events all show up in one place or will there be a conflict?

thanks, mj

Coordinator
Jan 12, 2012 at 3:45 PM
Hi, Mike-

You can use a provider ID shared across multiple assemblies. In general, the approach I recommend is to think in terms of the logical components you want tracing from, and use that as your guide for what assemblies have what provider IDs; we simply assign a new provider ID per assembly because it is the safest default behavior. By the way, you can also use the trace flags to filter sub-component's trace messages, so that becomes another way to "slice" the trace output.

-Andy

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 10:35 PM, mikemill <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Andy, I just started looking at NTrace to see if it'll work for one of our larger applications. Right now we have a single web application that's made up of somewhere around 20 DLLs. What's the recommended way to include NTrace in a project like that? One NTrace.ClassicProvider per DLL? Can we share the ETW provider ID across all the projects and have events all show up in one place or will there be a conflict?

thanks, mj

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (NTrace@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email NTrace@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com